Firefighters ‘saved lives of couple pulled from blazing house’

0
26
house fire at mansfield Nottingham

Firefighters have been praised for ‘undoubtedly’ saving the lives of two people who were trapped upstairs as a fire tore through their home.

The quick-thinking actions of the fire crews meant the couple were safely rescued from their bedroom as the blaze raged below them.

The fire, which is believed to have been accidental, started in the conservatory, and quickly engulfed the two-storey building on Big Barn Lane in Mansfield.

As call handlers at the fire control centre gave the couple survival advice over the phone, firefighters used a nine-meter ladder to pull the pair to safety.

Incident Commander Damien West said he was “proud” of the fire service’s lifesaving actions.

(Video: Mansfield Chad)

He said: “I am really proud of the outstanding work done by crews and fire control at the incident where two lives were undoubtedly saved due to their actions.

“This was a challenging incident where the property had been severely damaged by fire and thanks to the advice given by fire control, the two occupants were able to keep themselves safe until firefighters arrived to rescue them.

“Our crews were assisted at the scene by the East Midlands Ambulance Service Hazardous Area Response Team, Nottinghamshire Police, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service and the British Red Cross Emergency Response Team, and I would like to thank them, as well as the crews, for their professionalism in resolving this incident swiftly and safely.”

The blaze broke out at around 1.30am and crews from Mansfield, Ashfield, Blidworth, Edwinstowe, Warsop and Chesterfield attended.

A neighbour told the Mansfield Chad of her horror when she saw the flames.

She said: “The whole conservatory just dropped and was gone, then the flames spread to the rest of the house.

“It was really quick and the smoke spread to all the other houses. It was very dramatic. I could see flames coming out of the chimney.

“We were allowed back into our homes at six o’clock this morning but there’s soot everywhere.”

Following the blaze, crews from Mansfield and the fire service’s prevention team visited neighbouring houses to give out fire safety advice.

Mr West said: “Firefighters have fitted a number of smoke alarms in properties following the fire, and I cannot emphasise enough the importance of having working smoke alarms on every level of your home, as well as an escape plan and a night time routine, which includes closing internal doors before going to bed to limit the spread of fire should your home be affected.”

Kayleigh Mosley, a British Red Cross Emergency Response Officer, said: “Two of our volunteers attended the scene at around 3.00am and gave support to those affected by the fire by providing hot drinks, clothing, shelter and advice on accessing on-going support, and we would like to thank the crews in attendance for their support.”

Thanks to the Nottingham Post for this story. –  Original Article

If you are a member of a local group or society, let us know about your upcoming events and we can publish them for free in Spotlight Magazines.

If you are a local business and want to let everyone know about your service, just contact us… the information is below.

Follow us: @SpotlightMags on Twitter | Spotlight Magazine on Facebook

Spotlight Magazines are delivered to 30,000 homes
in the West Bridgford, Mansfield South
Mansfield NorthSinfin Derby and Tuxford areas each month.

With adverts starting at only £25 per month,
and Free Graphic Design, how can you afford not to advertise?

Look at these prices…

Eighth page Advert – £29 plus vat
Quarter page Advert – £49 plus vat
Half page Advert – £79 plus vat
Full page Advert – £149 plus vat

10,000 A5 double sided glossy flyers, designed and printed for only £199

Our advertising works…… It could be working for your business too!

VIEW THIS MONTHS SPOTLIGHT MAGS BY CLICKING HERE

or call us on 0115 822 4995

A FOUR PAGE WEBSITE FOR ONLY £299….
YOU MUST BE JOKING?

view our video here >>